Oh, Alphabutt

alphabutt

Every time we get in the car, Claire says, “Baby Monsties!”  She’s requesting that we listen to her favourite album of all time, Kimya Dawson’s Alphabutt, which begins with a track about “little baby monsters destroying my town/I build it out of blocks and they knock it down.”

It’s a catchy album that has many appealing things about it: it’s not ultra-sweet, there are real kids singing along in the tracks, and the lyrics cover all kinds of groovy parenting that I totally support, like babies who EC, co-sleep and breastfeed.  Kimya also sings about other kinds of groovy living that isn’t necessarily about children or parenting, like growing your own food or visiting friends who are in a same-sex relationship.

But after Tom caught me humming the tune to, “I like bears, I like bears, I like bears a lot,” I realized that I’ve had the entire album playing on auto-repeat inside my head since we got back from our trip.  I love Alphabutt, but it’s time to add in some new music to our daily listening.

What music do you listen to with your kids?

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Kirsten August 31, 2011, 7:30 pm

We definitely have our favourite kids albums, the usuals – Alphabutt, Elizabeth Mitchell, Duplex – and then we also listen to some folk kids classics like Woodie Guthrie, Lead Belly, Pete Seeger.

But we mostly listen to music that we like, and M likes it too. She’ll sing lines from Lou Reed’s “Satellite of Love” and Deerhoof’s flower song as often as she busts out Twinkle Twinkle.

On my list of things to do is to find good impromptu dance party music.

• michelle September 1, 2011, 9:17 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I credit you with our Alphabutt addiction, you know. :)

• Kirsten September 1, 2011, 9:48 pm

I do remember singing “I Like Bears” to the girls to smooth over some swing-sharing…

• Kirsten August 31, 2011, 7:38 pm

This is where the kids folk that we listen to comes from, perhaps you could discover more:

• Stacy @ Sweet Sky September 1, 2011, 8:33 am

Well, now we’ve got this album on repeat!! :) Thanks for the recommendation! ;)

• Kory September 2, 2011, 2:30 am

How did I not know Kimya Dawson had a kid’s album!?

We love Elizabeth Mitchell of course. Have you tried caspar baby pants? We love it. I also love the bare naked ladies ‘snacktime’ album and putumayo kids sing along. Bug also listens to a lot of ‘grown up’ music too though, one of her all time favorites being David Bowie!

• michelle September 4, 2011, 10:01 pm

thanks for the suggestions! I have heard other people recommend Putumayo as well. Putting it on my “to-get” list. :)